Member Spotlight
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics (Views)
36,358 Motivation
17,829 Rainbow War
Top Posters (30 Days)
John 4
Belma 1
Susana 1
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics530
Posts2,472
Members202
Most Online366
Nov 11th, 2023
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Ghast
OP Offline
Ghast
Musk bid for Twitter underscores the risks of social media ownership
Experts worry about the impact of ownership by one person after years of dealing with Facebook

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/04/17/musk-twitter-ownership-control/

Social media industry safety professionals and outside experts who have spent years trying to slow the empowerment of tyrants and violent mobs by Facebook and other platforms are aghast that a second major company might come under the control of just one person, especially one complaining that Twitter places too many limits on what can be posted on its site.

In tweets and a conversation that followed his surprise bid last week to take Twitter private, billionaire Elon Musk has decried decisions to bar some users as censorship and said moderation that blunts the spread of legal but offending content goes too far. “If it’s a gray area, let the tweet exist,” Musk said Thursday.

Continue reading the article here...

Last edited by matthews; 04/25/2022 10:25 AM.

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Christian Nestell Bovee
Spider
Spider
After reading the article it seems they are no pros to this issue only cons. One of them is that it restricts democracy and influence from external forces, leaving Elon Musk with people's data that can be manipulated, used, or sold. So all in all, the only thing that I see is really the problem is do we trust Elon enough to be in charge of people's data.

Wolf
Wolf
I think that nothing will happen, It will most like stay the same. The only thing would be that instead of being run by the same group of people it will now be one individual, which in a general sense isn't much different.

Sheep
Sheep
I feel that Twitter will stay as the form it's in now. Only change is the censorship, which says if there's wiggle room for tweets and posts, then they can't be taking down. This gives a fair chance to post that may be in the sensitive content category. No matter what, people will find loopholes in the system, but all we can do is watch the app evolve for better or worse.

Sheep
Sheep
I don't know how I feel about the situation, Elon is about to have everyones data and on top of that he's about to own us on twitter we won't have freedom of what we post or what we watch but if it all comes to an end he's going to have a hard time running twitter by himself cause if Facebook have problems dealing with their software and they got a massive staff then I wonder how he's going to do it just by himself.

Wolf
Wolf
I don't think anything would happen the only difference is that a single person owns it and with his money he could maybe improve it by getting a better moderation system to block NSFW content.

Wolf
Wolf
I am interested into why people are so worried in the first place because it really doesn't matter weather one person or a company has your data they can still sell it to advertisers and plus I can bet that peoples opinion have been influenced by the algorithms already (malicious or unintentional) so why are people so worried now?

Spider
Spider
I don't think twitter will change much other than maybe more ads for tesla. Data has been stolen for years so it's a non-issue to me.

Wolf
Wolf
Ultimately, its better that someone who actually cares about the privacy of users and doesn't politically censor people is in charge rather than the hacks that were previously running twitter. Elon already has talked about encrypting direct messages to make them private, announcing that he wouldn't ban people for their political views, and his anti-censorship stance is far better than the extremely biased moderation that twitter originally had.

Wolf
Wolf
You say that he is going to have everyone's data and we won't have freedom to post what we want. Yet he has already talked about wanting to encrypt your direct messages so nobody can see them, stated that he won't censor people for gray areas, and has been extremely vocal about not wanting to censor anything. If anything, you'll have even more freedom to post things on twitter rather than less. Either way, he isn't running it by himself, while he has been vocal about wanting many changes to twitter like an edit button and making censorship less strict, he isn't the one implementing them. Rather, its probably going to be the same team of people who were working on twitter before albeit with different guidelines on how things will go in the future.

Wolf
Wolf
How does being anti-censorship restrict democracy? What are the foreign influences that are the issue? Pretty much every country uses twitter so its not like there was any protection from such in the first place. If Russia or China wanted to spam twitter with anti-democracy messages, nothing would stop them at all on current twitter seeing as they barely can moderate English messages. Really, the only thing that would change is that Elon would reduce political censorship, make things more private, and introduce features that have been wanted on twitter for years like an edit button. I don't see the issue at all with him being in charge and acting like the previous people in charge on twitter were any better is downright ridiculous considering how terrible the site is right now.

Wolf
Wolf
I think thatt if Twiitter is owned by one person it's not going to be much of a difference for people. The only one with problems would be Elon, because he would be responsible for everyones personal data.

Wolf
Wolf
After reading this article I feel like there would be no pros nor cons.

?????????
Zombie
Zombie
The pros for an individual person owning a social media platform would be to restrict content that just goes way to far then it should be like insulting certain type of people in our community and also attract customers, get customer feedback and build customer loyalty is another pro like providing good and special content to customers. The cons in owning a social media platform would be the risk of getting negative feedback meaning that the social media platform is disliked from the audience and also the necessity to come up with something new like updates to the social media.

Wolf
Wolf
After reading the article , it honestly very much of a hassle. Because an one person wouldn't be able to own something, imagine he already has so much to put up with, and wanting an app that is used y millions of people. But if we are being realistic it wouldn't affect us the people much. The only difference would be the owner. So i really don't see any cons nor pros in here.

Spider
Spider
After reading the article, I think that if one person owns social media it will give them too much power of public opinion and over personal data that the app collects. According to the article it would also take away our democratic system. It does support freedom of speech but at what cost? If someone doesn't like watch someone else says about a government policy it could really start a word war and whichever side the owner is on will always win because they have the control of what is posted. I don't think it would be good.

1 member likes this: matthews
Wolf
Wolf
I feel that it will be the same just being owned by a private individual. They can make regulations of their own and everything goes through them but at the same time it's all about business and money.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 43 guests, and 96 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Isaiah blackwell, Daniela, Emi Yamamoto, von, w rizz 22
202 Registered Users
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16